Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Infinity Focusing

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Skyliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Having dismantled a lens to remove the usual lint, small insects etc How do I reset infinity focus precisely?
    My nagging doubt is that I may be getting it slightly out and compensating with the diopter. (I am not convinced that sharpening the f/numbers graphic in the viewfinder is the right place to bootstrap all the settings from, It should be the film plane, but how?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member eidde's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hello
    I dont know which camera you are using, or anything about the lens, but Ive done this, and basically I did the following.

    I took the lens completely to peices.

    When reassembling it I had two major peices that slotted into each other. One of these (the focus ring) had the distances labelled on it.

    I could see that turning this section all the way in one direction was the infinity setting.

    I slid the peices together and then made sure that this peice was firmly turned in that direction and wouldnt go any further before putting the tightening screws.

    That worked a treat. The focus ring turns fully one direction matching the infinity with the little line on the other section. Turn it the other way as far as it will go and the smallest distance (I think its 1 metre) matches up with the line.

    hope that helps

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Skyliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Eddie
    This is a fujica Z2 (single-8) which I like to use because of the backwinding, variable shutter and lack of jitter
    The stop ring you are talking about is held on to the front lens by 3 little grub screws. When you undo them the factory setting is lost. I may have been able to just remove the stop screw and clean the rear of the front lens in it's mounting ring but thats 20/20 hindsight for you [img]redface.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Skyliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think this
    http://www.pauck.de/archive/mailingl.../msg02027.html
    Is the kind of process I'm looking for (if I can get my head around it [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] )

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •